Dear Exchange Pool/Sunset Creek Families,
The summer swim league season is about to start. For those of you new to the Exchange Pool or Sunset Creek we have a phenomenal summer swim team, EXSC, which has experienced many successful years and three championships! This summer we are hoping to see all of last year’s familiar faces and many new faces as well. Don’t be fooled by our success. We are still all about friends, fun and improving our swimming skills.
The Exchange Pool website (exchangepool.net) is being updated and will have current month-by month calendar of events, swim meets and social activities. Please take the opportunity to read through the EXSC Handbook which is available online.
We have two coaches returning this year as Co-Head Coaches: Josh Taekman and Evan Rose. They have some great ideas for the team this year and plan to build on the spirit that Wes started last year. Â We are currently interviewing potential Assistant Coaches, and we anticipate a strong and enthusiastic group of coaches this year.
Do you have a teenager interested in coaching? Our Junior Coach program is open and accepting applicants! The only requirements are enthusiasm and a love for swimming, a desire to learn the art and science of coaching, and age of at least 14. The link to the application is below.
Each swimmer needs to fill out a registration form online at the link below. Â New this year! Online payment is available for a convenience fee. If you prefer, you can bring your payment to the Open House on May 19th, or you can mail it to Celeste Cantrell, 124 Waverly Forest Ln, Chapel Hill, NC 27516. No swimmer will be registered until we receive full payment for each swimmer. In addition, your Exchange Pool membership dues must be paid in full in order to register for swim team.
We will continue to cap our registered swimmers at 200. Once we have 200 swimmers, we will begin a wait list. Be sure to get your kids registered early because it will be based on a First Come/First Serve basis. We do offer a 2 week trial period at the beginning of the season with the Drop date of Saturday, May 30th for all swimmers. If any swimmers decide to drop from the team, we will contact the swimmer at the top of the wait list to fill that spot. With the changes we have made, we will need to adhere closely to our swim team participation guidelines, which are listed below:
• In order to swim on swim team swimmers need to show enthusiasm and willingness to be in the water.
• Swimmers must be able to learn in a group environment and swim at least 10 yards unassisted to be placed on the team. We ask parents to consider swim lessons for those swimmers who can not swim 10 yards unassisted at the start of the season. Swimmers can join into the team at any point in the season when they meet criteria and if we have a spot open.
• For swimmers who aren’t quite ready to join the swim team, we also have a small group called the WaterSpouts. This is kind of like “little league” for the swim team. A coach will work with these kids Monday through Thursday on skills needed to join the full group. More information is included below.
• The coaches will be doing swim assessments at Open House and the first week of practice to evaluate swimmers for the criteria above.
• We continue with the recommendation that each swimmer participate in at least 2 swim meets. Swim meets can be noisy and intimidating for some children. It is understandable that some swimmers do not wish to compete. However, we are a team, and we rely on our swimmers to cheer and support their teammates. We also rely on parents to volunteer! A swim meet requires a lot of coordination and parent participation to run smoothly so that all of our children enjoy the experience.
One t-shirt will be free to those swimmers registered prior to Â June 6th . Additional t-shirts for parents and siblings can be ordered prior to June 6th by filling out the order form available at Open House and throughout the 2 week trial period.
We are looking forward to another great season so please check the website and download the calendar, forms, and come join us.
Any question, please feel free to contact me, Celeste Cantrell, email@example.com
Coming up soon:
Sun, May 17th: Swim Team Open House 2-4pm. Register. Meet the Coaches. Swim Assessments. Apparel fitting.
Mon, May 18th: Afternoon swim practices start.
See you poolside!
Celeste Cantrell, Head Parent Rep
Registration forms and/or payments: Celeste Cantrell, 124 Waverly Forest Ln, Chapel Hill, NC 27516
Do you have a budding swimmer who wants to be a part of the swim team but isn’t quite ready?
We have a program just for your swimmer!
The WaterSpouts program is a part of our swim team for the motivated almost-swimmer who needs some additional help before joining the regular swim practice.
When is it? The program will meet 4 days a week: 10:15-10:45am or 4:15-4:45pm Monday through Thursday. We must have a minimum of 4 participants per time slot. The program starts June 16th and will run until July 17th.
Who participates? Children between the ages of 3-6 would be welcome to join if they are motivated to swim. Age exceptions may be made at the discretion of the Head Coach. Evaluations must be scheduled ahead of time. These will be scheduled upon registration.
Who runs it? Waterspouts would be run by an experienced coach with additional coaches as needed to maintain at most a 1:5 ratio.
How much does it cost? $80 per swimmer. This cost includes a team t-shirt! No additional charge if your swimmer moves to the regular swim team.
- What are the goals?
- Increase the comfort level of kids in the water
- Conquer any fears of the pool
- Be able to swim 1 lap by the end of the program
- Teach kids swimming skills including
- Move up to swim team if they are capable
- Teach team values (friendship, encouraging others, and team spirit)
- Have fun!
- Example of a typical practice:
Parents will drop their kids off with the coaches and then leave the area. This is one key to Waterspouts working–a distance from parents. The kids have to be comfortable in the water without the parents a few feet away and we want them listening to the people in the water.
Every practice we will start off with kick practice on a board or holding the hands of an instructor. No waterspout will ever be in the water unless they are directly with an instructor. They will wait on the walls until their turn comes. We’ll practice the kick motion and the arm motions while in a comfortable situation, but still pushing the limits. Only the coaches will be allowed to push a child to the next level (for example, taking a hand off the board) otherwise they will practice a comfortable motion with an older kid helping instruct.
Depending on the day, we’ll practice another skill varying from floating on their backs, to going underwater. Sometimes we might try to focus on swim team oriented skills such as breaststroke kick or back stroke and other days we will work on important swimming skills such as treading water or just swimming a few yards anyway they can.
To make it fun, we will always have “diving board day” on Thursdays where all Waterspouts will be given the opportunity to jump from the diving board with a Coach catching them or helping them depending on their skill.
The Coach will be available for 15 minutes once a week after practice to address any concerns and give feedback.
- I love it! How do I register?
- Use the regular swim team registration link above!